- What Does an Architect Do?
- Find an Architect
- Check the Register
- Top Tips from Architects
- Useful Questions Before you Start
- Working with an Older Building
- Working with your Town and Neighbourhood
- Ask a Question
- Work with an Architect: Commercial
- Work with an Architect: Your Home
- Why your Architect must be Registered
- Raising a Concern
- Professional Conduct Committee
- Misuse of Title
RIAI Building/Construction Cost Guidelines 2019
The Building/Construction Cost Guidelines have been published by the RIAI for 2019 to advise on construction costs for domestic and commercial works. The cost shown were researched and obtained from a number of sources, including Registered Architects, government publications, and associated building professionals.
The rates shown are for average construction build costs only and are representative of typical specifications for each type of project. They do not include VAT, professional fees, levies, planning charges, or inflation. Unique designs or challenging sites would not be within the cost ranges shown.
Inflation costs within the construction industry for 2019 are, at present, much greater than general inflation due to ever-changing market influences. The continued increase in building costs can be attributed to a number of elements, including such factors as:
- A surplus of construction projects, permitting contractor to pick and choose their work at the prices that reflect their perception of the market;
- A shortage of both specialist and traditional trades sub-contractors;
- An increase in mechanical and electrical prices and wages;
- A shortage of labour and skills;
- General increases in supply and materials.
The information contained within the RIAI Building/Construction Cost Guidelines 2019 is set out to provide clients and consumers with guidance on building costs using the average figures noted. It must, however, be borne in mind that the high level of cost inflation within the industry due to market conditions, referred to above, will affect the information within this document.