- What Does an Architect Do?
- Find an Architect
- Check the Register
- Top Tips from Architects
- Useful Questions Before you Start
- Working with an Older Building
- Working with your Town and Neighbourhood
- Ask a Question
- Work with an Architect: Commercial
- Work with an Architect: Your Home
- Why your Architect must be Registered
- Raising a Concern
- Professional Conduct Committee
- Misuse of Title
RIAI Rising Star in Architectural Technology Award 2021
Sponsored by SIKA
The RIAI presents the RIAI Rising Star in Architectural Technology Award 2021 sponsored by SIKA. SIKA supports the RIAI’s aims for the RIAI Rising Star in Architectural Technology Award 2021 and with their support a prize fund is available for this award.
This award is free to enter.
The RIAI Rising Star Award in Architectural Technology Award recognises an individual Third Year student of Architectural Technology who exemplifies academic excellence and dedication to the field of Architectural Technology in the national context of architectural technologists’ education. The recipient shall have demonstrated a quality of performance that would be an indicator that they are likely to continue to develop into a distinguished member of their profession.
2. Aim of the RIAI Rising Star in Architectural Technology Award 2021
The aim of the award is to:
- Promote the study of architectural technology.
- Encourage and foster architectural technological excellence among the student body.
- Encourage and facilitate communication between the Institutes of Technology delivering to both the RIAI Standards of Knowledge Skill and Competence for Practice as an Architectural Technologist and the QQI standards - Architectural Technology.
- Provide a basis for growing awareness of architectural technology in practice through exhibitions and publications supported by RIAI.
3. The Brief / Award Criteria
Third Year students from RIAI accredited programmes in Architectural Technology are invited to submit a single A1 board illustrating the work they have completed during their third year of study. The A1 presentation can include a combination of technical investigations, final technical design solutions, 3-D representations, and photographs of models, arranged in such a way as to fully represent the body of work produced during that academic year. The submission is to include a 1500 to 2000-word synopsis that details the approach taken to integrate the following key aspects of Architectural Technology:
- Technical Response to a Design Brief
- Integration of Sustainability.
- Use of Analytical and Collaboration Tools.
The submission may include the entrant’s end of year project; however, each Institute of Technology can, if preferred, set a separate project for students wishing to make a submission.
The award is open to students currently enrolled in Third Year of RIAI accredited programmes in Architectural Technology in the following Institutes of Technology:
|School||Qualification in Architectural Technology|
|Munster Technological University (MTU)||BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology (CR560)|
|BSc Architectural Technology (CR090)|
|Dublin Institute of Technology (TU Dublin)||BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology (DT175)|
|Galway Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT)||BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology (GA483)|
|BSc Architectural Technology (GA472)|
|Institute of Technology Carlow (IT Carlow)||BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology (CW468)|
|BSc Architectural Technology (CW407)|
|Letterkenny Institute of Technology (LyIT)||BSc Architectural Technology (LY547)|
5. Assessment Criteria
- All entries will be evaluated in an anonymous manner by the jury.
- The composition of the jury is included in section 10. The competition convenor shall also participate in the jury evaluations.
6. Award Timeline
|Issue of brief to Schools of Architectural Technology||April 2021|
|Final Registration Date||Friday, 4 June 2021|
|Final Submission Date||Friday, 18 June 2021|
|Evaluation Period||June - September 2021|
|Announcement of Short List||End September 2021|
|Presentation of Award and Exhibition of Short Listed Entries||RIAI Conference|
Students intending to submit an entry are required to first register their interest by completing the RIAI Rising Star in Architectural Technology 2021 Registration Form at the end of this page and returning it in pdf format by email for the attention of Carol Curran, RIAI Education Officer, no later than Friday 4 June 2021. On receipt of this form the RIAI will issue each participant with an individual Submission ID Number.
8. Submission Requirements
- Each student is invited to submit 1 x A1 Board presented as a cohesive, graphic synopsis to illustrate the work the student has completed during their third year addressing the three key aspects required in section 3 above and a 1500 to 2000-word synopsis as described in section 3 above. This document should securely be fixed to the rear of the A1 Board submission.
- Entries must be anonymous. Submissions shall be free from any markings that may identify either the student or their Institute of Technology.
- The A1 submission will be mounted on 6 or 10mm foam core board, identified by the participants individual Submission ID Number and delivered to the RIAI Offices, 8 Merrion Square, Dublin 2 before Friday 18 June 2021.
9. Composition of the Jury
- Up to 4 other Jury Members to be proposed by the RIAI Board of Architectural Education and the RIAI Architectural Technology Committee and to include a member of the RIAI Architectural Technology Committee.
The final Jury will be approved by RIAI Council and announced before the Final Registration date on Friday 4 June 2021
10. The Prize
A prize fund is available for this award. Division or not of the prize fund will reflect the standard and diversity of entries.
11. Presentation / Exhibition
It is intended that the winning, commended and other entries selected for exhibition will be exhibited at the 2020 RIAI Student Award Ceremony and Exhibition to take place at the RIAI Annual Conference 2021. The exhibition of selected entries will clearly display the student’s name and their Institute of Technology. The copyright of all award entries for the purpose of publicity and exhibition rests with the RIAI. The copyright for all other purposes rests with the entrants. Students whose entries are short-listed for a prize/exhibition may be requested to submit a hard A1 Board of their entry.
12. Terms and Conditions
- No submissions shall be accepted after the submission deadline of Friday 18 June 2021.
- Only students currently enrolled in Third Year in RIAI accredited programmes in Architectural Technology in the Institutes of Technology listed in section 4 above are eligible to participate in this award. Students are required to submit a copy of their student card as evidence when registering for this award.
- Group submissions will not be accepted and will be disqualified.
- Only one submission shall be permitted from each student and variant options will not be accepted.
- Submissions should be emailed in pdf format A1 drawing clearly displaying the Submission ID Number supplied to the participant by the RIAI after registration.
- Submissions should be free from any markings that may identify either the student or their Institutes of Technology so that projects can be judged anonymously.
- The RIAI acknowledges the collaborative nature of architectural technology but the student submitting the entry must be responsible for the work submitted.
- Entries will not be returned to competitors.
- The RIAI Council reserves the right to permit or refuse the presentation of the Award.
- The RIAI Council may direct the Jury on any matter relating to the Award.
- It is the function of the RIAI to ensure that only eligible projects are considered.
- The Jury may recommend that no award be made or that the prize fund be divided to reflect the standard and diversity of entries.
- The decisions of the judges are final and conclusive. No discussion or correspondence will be entered into.
Students of Architectural Technology who are currently enrolled in, or on a year out from, courses that are currently accredited by the RIAI are eligible for student membership of the RIAI.