- What Does an Architect Do?
- Find an Architect
- Check the Register
- Top Tips from Architects
- Useful Questions Before you Start
- Working with an Older Building
- Working with your Town and Neighbourhood
- Ask a Question
- Work with an Architect: Commercial
- Work with an Architect: Your Home
- Why your Architect must be Registered
- Raising a Concern
- Professional Conduct Committee
- Misuse of Title
Fire Regulations and the use of Laminated Glass by Colman Billings (November 2023)
- Pre-recorded RIAI Courses
- Pre-recorded Online
Cost:RIAI Member €35 | RIAI Practice Member €30 | Non-Member €45
Location:RIAI Digital Chalk
RIAI CPD:1 Structured CPD Point
This course consists of a recording of a live CPD, hosted by the RIAI on 16 November 2023.
The course aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of the latest fire regulations in relation to the use of laminated glass, specifically in the context of the UK's TGD Part B and its implications for Irish architects. It delves into alternative materials like heat-strengthened and toughened glazing and examines the complexities arising from conflicting expert opinions.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to identify potential regulatory compliance issues with the use of laminated glass.
Speaker - Colman Billings
Employed as an Industrial/Façade Designer by Billings Design Associates Ltd., Dublin. A director of Billings Design Associates since 2001 and Managing Director since 2009. Currently MD, lead designer and owner. Colman has worked on the detailed design, testing and installation of prestigious projects, such as the solid bronze façade on Portcullis House in London for Michael Hopkins & Partners and the 15,000 anodised aluminium disks on the façade of Selfridges Department Store, Birmingham, for Future Systems. To view Coleman Billings full BIO click here.
- Brief overview of the course objectives
- Importance of fire regulations in building design
2. Understanding TGD Part B in the UK
- The specifics of the latest changes
- The impact on laminated glass usage
3. Alternatives to Laminated Glass
- Heat-strengthened glazing
- Toughened glazing
- Pros and cons of each
4. Navigating Conflicting Expert Opinions
- Examples of differing expert opinions
- How to make informed decisions
5. Relevance to Irish Architects
- How UK regulations affect Irish projects
- Anticipated changes to Irish TGD Part B
6. Q&A and Closing Remarks
- Open forum for participant questions
- Summary and key takeaways
This is a recording of an event that took place over Zoom on 16 November 2023 and is being delivered via RIAI DigitalChalk:
- Following receipt of your payment via MyRIAI you will receive an email from the RIAI CPD Division (9:00am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday) providing your login details for RIAI Digital Chalk.
- This online course will be accessible from your RIAI Digital Chalk account for 6 months from the date of completion.
- The RIAI will send you a CPD certificate on completion of the online course.