- What Does an Architect Do?
- Find an Architect
- Check the Register
- Top Tips from Architects
- Useful Questions Before you Start
- Is your home a Protected Structure?
- Ask a Question
- Work with an Architect: Commercial
- Work with an Architect: Your Home
- Why your Architect must be Registered
- Raising a Concern
- Professional Conduct Committee
- Misuse of Title
RIAI CPD Workshop Pilot: NZEB and TGD Part L Dwellings 2020
- CPD Events
Date:Thursday 06 February 2020
Time:10.15am - 4.45pm
Cost:RIAI Member: €275; RIAI Practice: €250.
Location:RIAI, 8 Merrion Square, D02 YE68
Note: This NZEB workshop CPD can be held outside Dublin, a minimum of 14 members is required for each location. If you are interested please email Teresa Harte.
The RIAI presents a CPD pilot workshop on the implementation of EU NZEB requirements in the new Part L 2019 Dwellings for both new build and works to existing dwellings.
The aim of the workshop is to provide participants with a comprehensive overview and induction to the New Part L 2019 Dwellings, which was recently updated to incorporate EU NZEB requirements, and to assist them in applying the requirements in case practice.
The workshop will provide attendees with an understanding of the Part L 2019 TGD including the key changes from 2011 (such as Energy and Carbon limits, new Renewable requirements and method, minimum fabric and services requirements) and the new section and classification type ‘Major Renovation’.
The workshop will have informative lectures but will include practical case exercises and group work on compliance for new dwellings and works to existing dwellings under major renovation and question and answer sessions / discussion.
The workshop will include a familiarisation of the DEAP method / software (and recent revisions of same under DEAP 4 – with method updates to water, lighting and renewables), which underpins key aspects of the TGD and compliance validation, and highlight the other key technical calculation requirements in particular in relation to the envelope, notably thermal and moisture issues.
Please note that the focus of this workshop is on Part L Compliance and not DEAP and that a more detailed induction to DEAP is available via this RIAI CPD Programme.
Patrick Daly, Dip. Arch. Tech., B. Ed. Des. Tech., Dip. Pro. Man., M.Sc. Architecture (AEES), M.Sc. Research
The workshop will be designed and delivered by Patrick Daly who has over 25 years’ experience in design and realisation of buildings and is a leading energy and environmental building specialist with qualifications in a range of building energy and façade analysis tools. Patrick is a lecturer on the NZEB post graduate programme in the Dublin School of Architecture, TUDublin.
On completion of this workshop attendees should have a knowledge of;
- The key changes, structure and main requirements of the new TGD
- The different requirements for New Build, Existing including new section on Major Renovation
- How the DEAP method and tool integrates into the TGD and its application in compliance
- The main requirements for compliance in relation to building fabric, services and renewables
- The key technical areas of assessment and calculation required by the TGD and
- Have gained practical experience in the application of compliance requirements to example case projects for both new build and renovation to dwellings.
The workshop will be a ¾ day comprising morning and afternoon sessions with both theory based informative lectures and practical group exercises on compliance application to case examples.
Participants should have a digital or printed copy of Part L 2019 TGD Dwellings, laptop and notepad, scale, pencil / pen and calculator (or use one on smart phone or laptop).