- What Does an Architect Do?
- Find an Architect
- Check the Register
- Top Tips from Architects
- Useful Questions Before you Start
- Working with an Older Building
- Working with your Town and Neighbourhood
- Ask a Question
- Work with an Architect: Commercial
- Work with an Architect: Your Home
- Why your Architect must be Registered
- Raising a Concern
- Professional Conduct Committee
- Misuse of Title
RIAI CPD Links: Climate Adaptation for Built Heritage – Meeting the Challenges by Dublin Civic Trust
- Other CPD Events
- RIAI CPD Links
- Live Webinar
Date:Wednesday 15 September 2021
Time:10.00am - 1.00pm
RIAI CPD:3 Structured CPD Points
This half-day webinar will explore the challenges facing Ireland’s built heritage in the context of climate change. Two leading speakers, award-winning writer Roger Hunt and architect, environmentalist and broadcaster Duncan Stewart, will highlight the global context of climate change, how it affects Ireland and its buildings, and the commitments now enshrined in Irish law. They will explore the mitigation measures required to reduce carbon load, increase thermal performance and comfort, and cater for more frequent and severe extreme weather events in a manner that is sensitive to the particular qualities of historic and traditionally constructed buildings.
The webinar will explain the basic principles of retrofitting old buildings for energy efficiency and the key issues to think about to ensure their long term sustainability, value and character. The speakers will consider a holistic approach to retrofitting and examine the materials and techniques that are compatible with the needs of old buildings.
Topic strands will include:
- Climate change: What the science tells us
- Legislation: Ireland’s legally binding commitments
- Sectoral budgets: The part that built heritage must play
- Built heritage: How old buildings and traditional materials function
- Thermal upgrading: Factors to consider and case study solutions
- The ‘light hand’: How to preserve the authenticity of historic character
- Questions & Answers
The morning includes one 15-minute break and two opportunities for extensive Q&A.
Recording: A recording of the webinar will be made available for a two-week period to all attendees and to ticket-holders who cannot attend on the day.
Note: The RIAI is not issuing CPD Certificates for this webinar, please email Graham Hickey.