- What Does an Architect Do?
- Find an Architect
- Check the Register
- Top Tips from Architects
- Useful Questions Before you Start
- Working with an Older Building
- Ask a Question
- Work with an Architect: Commercial
- Work with an Architect: Your Home
- Why your Architect must be Registered
- Raising a Concern
- Professional Conduct Committee
- Misuse of Title
Protecting Mental Health and Well-being while Working Remotely
- CPD Events
- Member Events
Date:Wednesday 23 September 2020
Time:9.30am - 12.30pm
Cost:RIAI Member cost: €105 RIAI Practice cost: €90
RIAI CPD:3 Structured Points
The RIAI are delighted to welcome back John Broderick to present a CPD focused on Protecting Mental Health and Well-being while Working Remotely.
In the current climate it is more important than ever to manage mental health in the face of major upheavals in our professional and personal lives. This 3-hour CPD will provide participants with several insights on how to protect their mental health, maintain their well-being and manage their emotions in this challenging time.
The session is led and facilitated by psychologist and coach, John Broderick and aims to be highly interactive with lots of discussion, exercises, and activities. Each participant will be equipped with several strategies to maintain a positive mental and emotional wellness and will have an opportunity to generate an action plan for implementation and practice going forward.
- Explore 5 key insights into developing and maintaining positive mental health and wellbeing.
- Learn how to cultivate a peaceful mind and how to maintain composure under pressure
- Understand how to manage and control negative emotions such as anxiety and fear
- Learn how to stay present in the moment, reclaim your personal power and protect your hope
- Develop strategies and techniques for managing your own well-being, as well as helping others to manage theirs.
The workshop will provide participants with a detailed exploration and discussion on strategies and practice based on five principles that support positive mental health and the capacity to survive and thrive in adversity.
Cultivate a Peaceful Mind
- Skills that contribute to the development of a peaceful mind
- Practice of mindfulness and equanimity – radical acceptance
- Exercises for settling the mind in its natural state
- Sustaining focus and elevating attention
- Importance of self-talk
- Perception and meaning in the experience of events
- The role of gratitude and appreciation in daily life
- Guided mindfulness meditation and relaxation exercises
Control your Emotions
- What neuroscience tells us about how our brains react to threat and uncertainty
- Identifying your personal stress signatures and triggers
- Role of cognitive distortions in shaping beliefs and behaviours
- Recognizing and understanding emotional needs and drives
- Regulating and controlling difficult emotions under pressure
- Cognitive behavioural techniques for managing anxiety and worry
Live in the Present Moment
- The power of now
- Learning to help focus and direct your attention on the present moment
- Observing and accepting thoughts and feelings without evaluating them
- Overcoming worry and obsessional thinking about future
- Techniques to manage inner anxiety and fear
Reclaim your Personal Power
- Rising above circumstances and gaining internal locus of control
- Building self-reliance and increasing emotional autonomy
- Taking responsibility for yourself, your behaviour, actions and reactions
Protect your Hope
- Insights from Positive Psychology on human flourishing
- The role of optimism in health, well-being and thriving
- The importance of explanatory style as a key to persistence
- Differences between optimism and pessimism
- Learning optimism – techniques for bouncing back from adversity and setbacks
Terms And Conditions
Confirmation is subject to event fee being finalised. Cancellation fees calculated at 50% of the estimated total bill will be charge for confirmed bookings cancelled less than 5 working days prior to the date of the planned event. A replacement person can attend instead. Cancellations made the day prior to an event will be charged 75% of the total estimated bill. No-shows will be charged the full fee. All cancellations must be confirmed in writing by email. RIAI will not be liable for any costs in the event of a course being re-scheduled.
|09:40am||Physical, Mental & Emotional Wellbeing|
|11:00am||Developing a Peaceful Mind|
|11:30am||Renewing your Energy and Passion|
|12:00pm||Leading others with Emotional Intelligence|
|12:15pm||Closing discussion and Q&A|
John Broderick is a founding Director of Roche Martin Ltd, an Emotional Intelligence Leadership Development Company in Australia, Ireland and the UK and has also worked for several years in third level research and development.
John is one of Ireland’s leading Emotional Intelligence professionals and delivers a range of psychometric tools, the Emotional Capital Report (ECR) and ECR360, the MMPI-2, & NEO personality Inventory. Along with his Australian colleague and business partner, Dr Martyn Newman, he has spearheaded training in Emotional Intelligence, leadership, and professional coaching in Ireland.
He is a registered member of the Psychological Society of Ireland and founder member of the Division of Counselling Psychology; he is also a member of the Coaching Psychology Group in PSI and the Irish branch of the Association for Coaching.