- What Does an Architect Do?
- Find an Architect
- Check the Register
- Top Tips from Architects
- Useful Questions Before you Start
- Working with an Older Building
- Working with your Town and Neighbourhood
- Ask a Question
- Work with an Architect: Commercial
- Work with an Architect: Your Home
- Why your Architect must be Registered
- Raising a Concern
- Professional Conduct Committee
- Misuse of Title
Changing the Mindset from ‘Granny Flat’ to Flexible Home Adaptations
- CPD Events
- Member Events
- Featured CPD Events
Date:Thursday 23 November 2023
Time:1.00pm - 2.00pm
Cost:Member Rate: €35 | Practice Rate: €30
Location:Interactive Live Session via Zoom
RIAI CPD:1 Structured CPD Point
The RIAI present a CPD on Changing the mindset from ‘Granny Flat’ to Flexible Home Adaptations, Catherine Dollard (MRIAI) and Linda Horgan (MAOTI).
The aim of the CPD course is to inform attendees of best practice in the design of flexible home adaptations.
Who is this CPD for?
- RIAI members - architects working on domestic housing projects, Local Authority architects and Age Friendly Technical Advisors
- AOTI members working in the area of home adaptations
- IPI members, particularly Local Authority planners
The CPD course will cover the following topics:
- Why write this paper?
- Position being taken
- Analysis of current Development Plans & Demographics
- Proposed Planning Guidelines for Flexible Home Adaptations
- 10 Universal Design Features
- Case Studies
On completion of this course participants will be able to:
LO1: An understanding of the criteria for ‘granny flats’ in existing Development Plans and why there is a need for a more consistent approach to support positive health and housing outcomes.
LO2: Illustrate best practice in the provision of flexible home adaptations to provide a home for older people and those who need support to live independently.
|13:00||Introduction by RIAI Chair: The initial research identifying inconsistent Development Plans and the establishment of the Liaison Group||Chair Isoilde Dillon|
|13:10||Presentation Position Paper - content and consultation with Age Friendly Technical Advisors 1. Why write this paper? 2. Methodology 3. Position being taken 4. Analysis of current Development Plans & Demographics 5. Issues||Linda Horgan|
|13:30||Making the case for change 6. Recommendations 7. Proposed Planning Guidelines for Flexible Home Adaptations 8. 10 Universal Design Features 9. Learnings 10. Case Studies||Catherine Dollard|
|13:50||Q+A (10 minutes)||Chair|