Welcome, Guest  :  Login  |  Help  |  Contact Us


Important Advice for Students of Architecture Considering Moving Between Programmes of Study

Published: Thursday, July 19, 2018

Are you considering moving abroad to complete your architectural education? 

Access to the profession of Architect in the EU member states, EEA countries and Switzerland is governed by national legislation and standards must comply with the European Directive on the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications (2005/36/EC). The Directive sets the minimum standard for the professional recognition of architects within the EU. For these reasons, it is essential that all students, graduates and educators are aware of how recognition works.

Architectural awards are usually recognised on the basis of a full five years study. While it is possible to move between awards, for example after the third year, this will be dependent on the college you move to confirming that your final award will meet the requirements for a prescribed qualification in architecture. While it is possible to move between States, extreme caution is advised. Qualifications are accredited and prescribed by national authorities. While there is a common minimum standard in the EU individual Member States have their own standards and requirements above and beyond this.

Those considering moving from Ireland to the UK to complete the five years of architectural education must take particular care. Recognition of your first three years of architectural education in Ireland (known in the UK as ‘Part 1’) by the UK Architects Registration Board (ARB) may require completion of a ‘Prescribed Examination’ which can cost approx. £1700 STG. In addition, the possible effect that Brexit may have on the recognition of qualifications in architecture will only be known once the UK Government’s ongoing negotiations with the EU have concluded.


Categories: Architecture | Education

« Back to Latest News